Monday, March 29, 2010

Be careful little eyes what you see...

I love Jane Austen. I say that without hesitation or reservation or shame. I have read most of her novels, seen the (good, i.e. non-Kiera or Gwyneth versions) movie adaptations and quote her randomly in conversation. I'm one of those people who read or watch her works and find myself sighing, longing, yearning for my own impossible, yet wonderful "happily ever after". I love getting to the end of one of her books (or movies), after all of the obstacles and conflicts and misunderstandings and waiting, to find a happy resolution...i.e. the people I wanted to be in love and together in that exact state. And, if I'm honest, I find myself longing for my own "happy resolution"...a pleasing end to my waiting.

As yet, mine has not come and I've resigned myself to the notion that it likely will not.

Since that resignation, I've mostly been ok. Obviously, there is a grieving process, but mostly I've been fine. That is, until I watched "Lost in Austen" last night.

Up until that time, I'd sort of unintentionally refrained from watching love stories or listening to love songs. I say unconsciously because I didn't set out to NOT watch or listen to those things as much as I set out to saturate my life with things that agree with what God has called good and right and pure and true for me right now. Romance is not part of that.

But, last night, after a day-long migraine, I settled in to edit some pics and saw "Lost in Austen" on Netflix and decided to give it a go, because, as I said, I love Jane Austen.

In hindsight, this was a bad move. It was not long before my heart started swelling and aching and yearning and aching some more. It was not long before I was sighing...and then crying. And, in the end, I was only aware of what I had "lost", what I was "lacking", that I was somehow "less than" everyone else.

I'm fighting for faith, to own what is good and right and pure and true, to agree with God that this life IS good...but its still a fight.

As I fight, I'm reminded of that children's song "Oh, Be Careful Little Eyes."

"Be careful little eyes what you see...be careful little ears what you hear..."

When one is clinging with feeble and fickle and frustrated fingers to the ledge of grace, it is best to refrain from surrounding oneself with that which exalt the things God has said "no" to. Doing so is about as unwise as a surfer, who broke his leg surfing, going out on his board the next day. Time is necessary to heal and to rebuild strength before venturing out into the water again.

So, for now, I wait...and refrain from Austen as I heal.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You hit the nail on the head. It reminds me of 1 Cor. 10:23 "...all things are lawful, but all things edify not." What some can do freely, may be just what stumbles us up. I love how you brought in the thought of filling your eyes and heart with the direction you believe God is wanting you to go.

    Keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete