Friday, June 3, 2005

Weekends Start Early

I don't have a "great" job...my isn't that a pessimistic way to start a post!?! But...there it is.

I do, however, have a pretty great schedule. We work four 9's and a 4. That means, Monday - Thursday we work from 7:3oa to 5:30p...and on Fridays we get to go home at 11:30a. So its really like getting a three day weekend every week...which is awesome! I can't remember a Friday when I didn't have something planned...lunch with a friend, babysitting my neices and nephew, or heading out of town for a visit or retreat. This weekend...I actually didn't have anything planned, though. I thought I might go home and do some housework or something practical like that. Thankfully, my sister-in-law called me and asked if I'd like to go to the movies with her and all the kids (ALL includes her three and my oldest brother's two soon-to-be stepchildren). We went to see Madagascar.

I am sure it was a very cute movie...but I actually had more fun holding my 4 month old neice. I think I laughed twice. I just don't enjoy movies the way I used to. I'd like to think there is some noble reason...I am just more high-minded or spiritually mature or something. But, it could just be that I am boring. I am really not sure. The last movie I saw before this one was another kids movie (as was the one before...and the one before that...and so on for the past 3 or 4 years, I think). I went to see The Incredibles...and I hated it. I laughed once at the very end when the baby gets his super power. That was it. I sat there for two hours waiting for all the promised funny...and merely chuckled at the very end. Everyone else I've spoken with liked it...a lot. And I don't get it. They don't get why I didn't like it. Maybe I need to see it again...or maybe I broke my funny bone.

Oh well...no great loss I guess and the kids had a great time, so that is all that really matters.

I am going to have 3 of the 5 kids tonight...we are having a girls sleepover at my house. That should be fun...and I am sure they will want to watch another movie that I won't laugh at. But, I am equally sure I will be sufficiently occupied with the baby or the housework that didn't get done this afternoon. This will be the third weekend in a row that I've had some combination of kids. I love having them. I don't sleep much...they make a mess...sometimes it is hard to remember that I am to show them the kindness of the Lord rather than react the way I really want to to whining or complaining or disobedience...but still, I love it. I make sense when I have them. But...more than that, I am grateful for the opportunities the Lord gives me to exercise some of what He has put in me...and to be some sort of godly influence on them.

My two year old neice has nightmares. It upsets me because I don't know why. When she wakes me fussing and crying, I pray for her and she calms down. The last few times, I have prayed for her before she goes to sleep and she hasn't had any bad dreams. I have also taught her to sing a few christian songs...and she only asks me to sing them. Even at two...and though it is in a limited way...she knows I am different. She knows TiTi sings "Jesus" with her and prays for her...and that means so much to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment