Wednesday, June 1, 2005

God is plotting for your joy!

I've been listening to a series of messages that John Piper did on the Book of Ruth. Throughout the message he repeats the phrase "God is plotting for your joy!" The thought of that...whew. God is plotting...planning...orchestrating events and circumstances...retraining me...leading me...leading others...forming and shaping me for the joy He is plotting to bring about. When I look at my current circumstances it is so easy to get distracted by the individual things that are happening...and how I feel about them individually. But in God's economy, they are all plot points in a grand story He is writing for my joy and His glory. The periods of quiet...the moments of victory...the bumps in the road...the things that don't go the way I'd like...the specific friendships I have...people I happen to converse with ...everything... is part of His divine plotting...and intended for joy. It is a bit overwhelming to think about.

Then I sort of get this picture in my head of Him, giddy with His big "secret"...and the more clueless I seem the more joy He gets because He knows what joy it is going to bring me when He finally springs the surprise. That may not be the most biblically correct depiction of God...but that is what comes to mind. And the scripture does say:
"he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love;he will exult over you with loud singing. (Zeph 3:17b)" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment