Wednesday, June 8, 2005

Have you considered my servant...?

And the LORD said to (insert name here), "Have you considered my servant (Tina)…a blameless and upright (woman), who fears God and turns away from evil? (Job 1:8)"

Often when I begin to pray for a husband, I hear this verse in my head. How I would love for the Lord to speak that phrase “Have you considered my servant, Tina” to some great, godly man. The thought of it is beyond words.

That desire helps to guide and check my behavior around men. Most times when I think I need to promote myself, or be a certain way or go to a certain activity to get noticed, I think of this verse and how much the idea of God laying my name on the heart of a godly man means…and I pray for restraint…for Him to help me guard my heart.

Once upon a time, I might have been able to marry just anyone who showed an interest out of sheer gratitude alone. But, since coming to the Lord and more recently since learning what I have about His plans and intentions for marriage, I don’t think I could just marry someone, or just anyone who professes to be a believer.

Though I try to submit my “preferences” to the Lord and be open to correction and His veto power, I do think it is important for me to have certain criteria to help guide me, and keep me from giving my heart to just anyone.

Ideally, I want a Boaz. I have ever since I first read the book of Ruth…the night I got saved. That desire has intensified after listening to all of these messages on Ruth. But I also know that *I* am often not the best judge of what is best for me…and trust the Lord to deliver good things.

I also have to remind myself that that sort of man isn’t going to be wooed by “me” so much as Christ in me…or who I am in Christ. Which reminds me of another passage of scripture, which is also a hope of mine…

And [Boaz] said, "May you be blessed by the
LORD, my daughter. You have made this last kindness greater than the first in that you have not gone after young men, whether poor or rich. 11And now, my daughter, do not fear. I will do for you all that you ask, for all my fellow townsmen know that you are a worthy woman
(Ruth 3:10-11).

That is my hope and prayer…held loosely before the Lord…trusting Him to answer it in His time…in His way…according to His will.

No comments:

Post a Comment