Wednesday, December 3, 2008

What's in a name?

Yesterday, I boarded the elevator in my office building and noticed something I've never noticed before. On one of the walls of the elevator is an inspection certificate. Now, I've noticed that before, I've also noticed when the guys turn it upside down just for fun. (They really need to get out more!) But what I didn't notice prior to yesterday was the name of the man who inspected our elevator.

His name: Carlos Zimmerman.

Upon reading this name my mind was filled with several funny mental pictures...and laughter.

I pictured a tall, tan Mexican man who says "oy" and "kvetches" a lot; a short jewish man serving me the perfect plate of chimichangas and his own special recipe bean dip; and a little boy in short pants and a yarmulke with his parents Ira and Consuela.

Wherever you are today, Carlos Zimmerman, I hope you are well! Thank you for inspecting our elevator and thank you for brightening an otherwise dull Wednesday morning. Oh, and say "Hola!" to Ira and Consuelita for me, will ya? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment