Friday, December 12, 2008

Not just words...

There are a few issues in my life that are just huge. Monstrous, even. When those monsters are poked, it makes it hard to see anything else, or feel anything other than fear, hopelessness, and despair. In those moments, my knee-jerk response is to flee...or give up...or find some way to alleviate or numb the feelings I listed below. But, as a Christian, there is always a "but God" at the end of any such thought. So, I am afraid...but God would have me hear Him say "The Lord, is in your midst...Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God." To my hopelessness he says "The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing." And when I am in despair, he says "The Lord your God is in your midst...Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage. He will come and save you.”

These are not just words. They are truth. They are life. They are a very present help in time of need.

There are times, surely, when God's word does seem like "just words" to us, though, isn't there? Times when that monster of an issue is looming large and blocking out any other sounds or sights or thoughts...and anything we do hear or see or think is quickly overpowered by this hulking, ugly, thing before us. I had one such moment just this morning, when I turned to my refuge for help and found "just words"...and walked away still in turmoil.

But God...

He would have us persist. To continue going to Him, continue calling upon His word, speaking it to ourselves and trusting that, in His faithfulness, it will be the strength, the comfort, the balm our soul needs. His word will not return void. It will stop being "just words" and instead speak peace and strength and joy to our souls. And that He will come and save.

No comments:

Post a Comment