Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Bah Humbug?

Generally speaking, my Christmas tree is up the day after thanksgiving. In fact, most of the month of November is focused on determining the theme and color scheme of my tree, scoping out bargains and acquiring the required decorations to make my vision possible. Then, on Thanksgiving, I go to my parents and eat food. The next day, I haul all of my Christmas decor out, pop Elf in the DVD player and get to gettin'.

Not so this year.

This year, whenever I think about putting my tree up I get anxious, bitter, cranky and "down in the mouth", as they say.

"They" being 80 year olds.

This year, I just have nothing in me that is excited about all the hoopla associated with Christmas. I tried blogging about my favorite Christmas things. That didn't help at all, so, obviously, my next step was googling "ways to get into the Christmas spirit".

Obviously.

The following are the suggestions I found (and my anxious, bitter, cranky and "down in the mouth" response to them):

1. Deck the Halls...

Tina McScrooge says: What for? I'm the only one that will ever see it!


2. Trim the tree...


Tina McScrooge says: See previous answer.


3. Bake Christmas Cookies...




Tina McScrooge says: I'm dieting, thankyouverymuch!


4. Go to a local lighting display...



Tina McScrooge: The kids might like this.


5. Host a Holiday movie night...



Tina McScrooge says: That would go over about as well as my two failed Holiday open houses and my failed attempts to get folks together for my birthday, bowling, or laser tag. I'm already paying eharmony $10 a month for rejection, I think that's enough effort, thanks.


6. Go shopping with friends...



Tina McScrooge says: See previous answer.


7. Send out holiday cards...


Tina McScrooge says: Psh! and gives a vigorous eye-roll.


What google didn't say was "get over yourself and your ideas about what Christmas should be like and remember what it is about.:


Luke 2

The Birth of Jesus Christ




In those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be registered. This was the first registration when Quirinius was governor of Syria. And all went to be registered, each to his own town. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, from the town of Nazareth, to Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, to be registered with Mary, his betrothed, who was with child.  And while they were there, the time came for her to give birth. And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.
 And in the same region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear. And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.” And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,
“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!” 



 Whether I have a tree, friends with which to share holiday festivities, or ever have more than myself to put on a Christmas card is not what Christmas is about, and like Charlie Brown and that dumb twig of a tree, if that's all I'm focused on nothing this holiday season will be right.

The decorations, the music, the lights, the parties, the family time, and the gifts are lagniappe, not the main thing. The main thing is: God sent His son, light came into the world and I am forever changed.

And, forgiven for every one of my McScrooge moments.

To that, Tina McScrooge says: You're right. I'll shut up  now.






No comments:

Post a Comment