Thursday, June 5, 2008

Kids.

I don't have kids of my own, but I know people who do. Those people often let me spend time with their kids. It works out well for all parties: I get to exercise my maternal instinct thing, the parents get a well deserved break and the kids get to enjoy my madness and cushiness (which tends to put even the most resistant child into a coma). Good times. Good times.



The other day, I was spending time with three of the aforementioned kids who belong to other people...two boys and a girl. Precious, creative, smart as all get out, and did I mention precious, kids. I was joining them, and another friend of mine for a short road trip to pick up my friend's kid (who is, by the way, equally precious, creative and smart). We all piled in the car and got strapped in and settled and I turned to the little girl, who was applying copious amounts of lipgloss and wearing plastic princess dress up shoes, and said "E___, I really like your shoes!" I really did. I was actually a bit jealous...they don't make those in my size. Anyway, my tiny friend said "Thanks" very matter of factly, and then, after a short pause said, "Ms. Tina, you're a really fat girl", just as matter of factly.



"Yes, I am." was all I could say. And then, I laughed a little.



James 4:6 says, "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble." I fell into the latter category in that moment. And, it's good, ya know, to keep it real and know that though there are moments when I'm tempted to think I have it all together and might just be kind of a big deal and the world might just revolve around me...there's a 4 year old waiting in the wings to call me fat.



And that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment