Wednesday, July 27, 2005

That which I lack?

This morning I had a few minutes after I had my time with the Lord and decided to read a bit in A Chance to Die (I tell you, I think I am going to be continuously reading this book for the rest of my life!). The page I read was about a financial crisis at Dohnavur. To keep herself from fretting and focus her heart and mind (and those reading her letters) on what is true, noble and good, Amy reminded herself of this passage of scripture:

Luke 22:35 And he said to them, "When I sent you out with no moneybag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?" They said, "Nothing."

I was reminded of something I’d written yesterday:
“As a single woman, that question has a slightly different meaning to me - an admittedly somewhat selfish meaning - and effects my life a bit differently. But whatever selfishness there is in me, there is also a godly desire for that which God desires and ordained from the beginning. That which I lack…that which I see so many lacking.”

That which I lack?

And I felt the Lord ask me…”Have you lacked anything?”
I had to answer, “Nothing Lord.”

I was very humbled as I thought about all He has provided and done for me. There truly has been NO lack at all…except in my gratefulness for His faithfulness and completeness in my life.

When I have felt the need for a husband to rein me in and give me balance…He has been that husband.

When I have needed a godly father to impart wisdom and protection…He has been that father.

When I have been broker than broke…He has been my provider.

When I had no friend to call or lean on…He has been that ever present, ever available, ever faithful friend.

When I needed discipline…He sent conviction and correction.


When I needed comfort…He has been my comforter.

When I felt I needed an outlet for my “maternal instincts”…He sent me my nieces.

I could go on and on...but most importantly...

When I needed a Savior…and I was a brute beast before Him…He bore it and lovingly won my heart.



No, Lord…I lack nothing.



No comments:

Post a Comment