Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Awe

“Who is like you, O Lord, among the gods? Who is like you, majestic in holiness, awesome in glorious deeds, doing wonders.”

When was the last time you had a moment like the one above…where all you could do was cry out in awe about the mysteries and glory of God? When was the last time you read something in the Word and thought… Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it (Ps 139:6) or just had to stop like Paul did in Romans and say “Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways (Ro 11:33)!” I confess I don’t have near enough moments like that. Which begs the question…Why?

Why is my time with the Lord not typified by moments like that?

The only answer I can come up with is Pride.

If I am really honest, I have to admit that I don’t always treat the word or my time in prayer with the significance it deserves. I don’t always exhibit my complete dependence on God and His word…I don’t always value it as the very bread of life. I don’t always go into that time aware and acknowledging that The Mediator makes it possible…and what He had to suffer to do it. In doing so, I arrogantly approach God…on my terms…seemingly on my own merit.

"How can anyone be arrogant when he stands beside the cross?" - Carl Henry

Lord help me to be ever mindful of the cross and the impact it has had on my life…the bridge it has created for me to get to you…a bridge paved with the suffering and blood of the only good, righteous and worthy One. Thank you for Jesus…thank you for the mediator you have provided…thank you for the reconciliation you purchased for me through Him. Help me to be in awe that I am allowed to be in your word, to speak your name, to lay my burdens at your feet and hear your voice. May I be ever mindful of the cross and continually humbled before you.

No comments:

Post a Comment