Sunday, August 31, 2008

Scared

Each time, before you intercede, be quiet first, and worship God in Hisglory. Think of what He can do, and how He delights to hear the prayers of His redeemed people. Think of your place and privilege in Christ, andexpect great things! -- Andrew Murray

I'm in Marksville, LA with some family, watching and waiting. Last night, my mom went to visit with some of her cousins and my brother and I stayed in the room and watched TV, alternating between a CSI marathon and the Weather Channel. And, I just got scared. Last night before we turned off the TV, Hurricane Gustav was a Cat 4 storm with winds reaching 150mph.

When Katrina hit, it wasn't that strong and I was at least semi-displaced for 3 months.

And the kids are on their way to Texas...who knows for how long.

Typing that causes a huge lump to form in my throat.

So, mom came home from her visit at about 10:30. We caught the 11pm update and then she rolled over and went to sleep. I lay there, praying. And then I got up and prayed. I thanked God for who He is and that He is sovereign. I thanked him for getting everyone I love out of harms way. I thanked him that my brother Brad is with us because he makes me laugh. Then I asked him to protect my brothers, sister-in-laws, and the kiddos as they traveled. I asked for protection for everyone I work with and my friends, by name. And then I just begged for mercy...for my family, for our city, for the company I work for, and that I would be able to see the kids soon. And, then, I begged for mercy again. Finally, I begged for God to perserve my trust and give me peace. I prayed back to the Lord what He says about Himself, His sovereignty, how He makes Leviathan his brush, rides upon the storm, and works all things according to His good pleasure.

And now? Now I'm trying not to be afraid and expecting good things from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment