Tuesday, March 7, 2006

"Your Maker is Your Husband"

For your Maker is your husband, the Lord of hosts is his name.
This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church.—You shall no more be termed Forsaken . . . but you shall be called My Delight Is in Her . . . for the Lord delights in you . . . and as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so shall your God rejoice over you.—He has sent me . . . to comfort all who mourn; to grant to those who mourn in Zion—to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit. (from today's Daily Light)


I have been in great need of comfort and a garment of praise lately. The most recent area of intense testing/pruning (my hope for marriage) has been heart-wrenchingly difficult. Fraught with emotion and overwhelmed by thoughts, fears & hopes…finding myself as Elisabeth Elliot says in Passion & Purity, “clogged with wishes.” But the Lord has been faithful. I don’t mean he has granted my wishes, but He has been a comfort and fitted me with a garment of praise…and he has been as near and real and loving as any husband could hope to be.


I don’t know that my hope will come into being. I have no word or assurance that what I wish for is what the Lord wills for me. But I do know that my redeemer lives and has been a very present help in moments when I have felt troubled…when I have mourned what I felt I lacked…and who has proved again and again that in Him I lack nothing…that He is my portion…He is my all.


This same God also says:
And I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy.


From this love, I cannot ever be separated…not even in death. How great is our God! How pitiful I am for thinking for a moment that what I wish for is greater…could make me happier…could satisfy me more!

4 comments:

  1. miss you! glad to hear God is really doing some exciting stuff in your life! Hard....but good.

    Hang in there, you are a strong trooper. Sorry I've been out of touch a bit here. things are crazy with Joe working alot.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the encouraging word I couldn't muster over email last night (it took this thoughtful post to inspire it!): You are right. He is our portion, and He is deeply satisfying and saturates us with a lasting peace. It is His grace and mercy which continues to prompt you to remember that reality now. It will be that which sustains you through the refining fires of marriage and motherhood, and/or the refining fires of conitinued singleness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Tina!

    {{Hugs!}}

    You inspire me...your desire for the Lord moves me to tears. It makes me want more of Him as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little birdie (in the bayou) said it was your birthday. So, I came over here to wish you a very Happy Birthday!

    Also, thank you for the reminder of what a great comfort and hope we have in our great God. :)

    ReplyDelete