Wednesday, March 15, 2006

He alone can satisfy

Some wandered in desert wastes,
finding no way to a city to dwell in;
hungry and thirsty,
their soul fainted within them.
Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble,
and he delivered them from their distress.
He led them by a straight way
till they reached a city to dwell in.
Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love,
for his wondrous works to the children of men!
For he satisfies the longing soul,
and the hungry soul he fills with good things.
(Psalm 107: 4-9)

My soul has been very hungry lately…hungry for things which I have been commanded to put aside, put away, limit, or wait on. Things which, to some degree or another, the Lord has said would be best for me to do without at this time. In the midst of this hunger, and through it, He has truly satisfied me with good things.

Hungry, I come to him…hungry for creature comforts, ease, fulfillment of cherished hopes and dreams, immediate answers…and He satisfies, not by answering or meeting my perceived needs, but with Himself.

Fearful I come to him…that I will never know another creature comfort, a bit of ease, have my dreams fulfilled or receive the answers I long for…and He satisfies with peace that baffles my feeble understanding.

Faithless I come to him…with my hunger and fear…despite His continued and abundant faithfulness to satisfy me and bring me peace. And for the 357th time that morning, He comes and again satisfies, brings peace and builds my faith.

And yet, still, I continue to find myself hungry…fearful…faithless.

And still…He comes and satisfies me with good things.
Good things from His word…by His Spirit…and even, amazingly, graciously, good things in the realm I live in too much – the natural.
Not because He is not enough, just becuase He is very, very good.

His goodness causes my heart to sing…

Let my soul be satisfied
Let my soul be satisfied
Let my soul be satisfied
Let my soul be satisfied

To remember…
He will provide for Himself, in every work that He has planned, all that is needed. All things, without a single exception, are in the hands of our Jehoval-Jireh. Nothing can hinder His purpose. Sooner or later we shall see what we now by fath believe. We shall see the end intended by the Lord, who is very pitiful and of tender mercy (James 5:11). We shall see and we shall sing. Let us sing now! (Amy Carmichael in Whispers of His Power)

And that
… none who waits for you shall be put to shame; (Psalm 25:3)

In her book Passion & Purity, Elisabeth Elliot writes (quoting John Buchan) “You have chosen the roughest road, but it goes straight to the hilltops!”

The road of obedience to Christ I have chosen to walk does indeed seem very rough at a times. My death to self is not like those who slip away in their sleep…it is often a raging fight. There are times I don’t want to submit. I don’t want to yield. I don’t want to obey. I want what I want when I want it, and for a fraction of a second I think I might not even care that it might not be what the Lord wants for me.

But God…BUT GOD (thank you Lord that there is always a But God in my life!) comes in and softens my quickly hardening heart, then pricks it, then heals it…and there is always….ALWAYS joy. Without getting my way and without suddenly finding myself on the hilltop, looking down over the valley of my life with understanding of all that has gone before. There is joy in knowing that my God was a very present help and is faithful, even when I am unfaithful. There is also joy in the hope that He will continue to lead me in the way He has mapped out for me…and that one day I will stand on the hilltops and be able to say “Oooohhh! THAT’s why!” And I will praise Him…just as I praise Him now…and more so. Not because I got my way, but because His will was done and He made me glad…satisfied…in Him and Him alone!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reminding me that He is all I need. Love you!

    ReplyDelete