Monday, August 1, 2005

Romans 14:23

For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin. (Romans 14:23)

I read that this morning. I read it before about a year ago and it had the same effect on me then as it did this morning…it knocked me on my butt.

Whatever does not proceed from faith is sin…whew! Whatever we do in our own strength…for our own ends…without relying on or seeking direction from God…obedience without belief…going through the motions in our reading, walk, church life…godly words spoken because its what we should say not what we really believe…ANY act that demonstrates self-sufficiency rather than God-dependence is sin.

I don’t know about you, but instances are flooding my mind right now.

And a deep sense of thankfulness for a merciful and forgiving God is filling my heart!

Lord, help me to say by my actions that I am dependant on you and you alone. Help me to know that nothing good dwells in me except you, for you alone are good. Help me to know and live the reality that your way is the best way…and that I cannot assume that I can discern it outside of seeking you for direction.

1 comment:

  1. "Whatever we do in our own strength…for our own ends…without relying on or seeking direction from God--…ANY act that demonstrates self-sufficiency rather than God-dependence is sin."

    I've had to really keep myself in check in these area during the "transformation." Everything I'm accomplishing is because of Him...because of His strength in me. It would be easy to feel prideful and self-sufficient after each little success, but knowing how looonnnngg it took me to get here, I know it's all Him.

    ReplyDelete