Saturday, October 9, 2010

Riding Bikes!

Today, I did something I haven't done in over 25 years...I rode a bike.

As it turns out, riding a bike is, just like...as they say..."riding a bike". You never forget how...no matter how many years or pounds get in the way.

I'd been wanting to buy a bike for a while, and decided I'd give it to myself as a sort of weight loss milestone reward. I'd set  "bike' as my reward for losing 100 pounds, but, well, I'm impatient and figured, why not try now? Bike riding is good cardio and easier on my hips than jogging. So, bright and early this morning, after going for a brisk walk/jog, I drove to Walmart in all my sweaty glory, ready to check out the bikes.

I went hoping to buy a cute pink cruiser I saw online, but that one wasn't available. The choices before me were: an aqua and brown cruiser, a purple cruiser and a red cruiser. Since I hadn't been on a bike in a quarter of a century, I decided I probably should make sure I could physically ride a bike before I purchased one...so, with some help from the cashier in sporting goods, I gave the bikes a test drive in the store.

It took me a while to get it going, to get my coordination coordinated and actually get moving, but, soon enough, I was cruising through the aisle while the cashier looked on.

She'll likely be sharing that story at dinner tonight.

In the end, I settled on this beauty...



I decided I didn't particularly care for the aqua bike and the purple one was too "pre-teen.

The cashier listened and nodded and at times chuckled as I deliberated aloud.

She also chuckled when I said I wanted a basket "so I can feel like I'm in the Wizard of Oz."


I could totally fit a puppy in there, but more than likely, you'll just find my keys, phone and Turvis tumbler in there. I don't have a puppy. My landlord won't allow it. That makes me sad. On the bright side, the only hair I need to vacuum up is my own.

Maybe, I'll pretend the bike is a Great Dane and name it Thor or Muffin or something.

Or, I'll just ride my bike like a normal person...and if I happen to give it a cute name, so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment