Wednesday, May 31, 2006

"...believe that you have received it..."

Have faith in God ... Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.—All things are possible for one who believes.—And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord.

This is from today's Daily Light. It is very perplexing to me. This thought of "believe that you have received it and it will be yours" has always caused both a great stirring in my heart and a conflict in my mind. The problem, for me, comes in that I am not divine. I do not know what the future holds for me. I do not know the plans God has for my life. I am walking baby step by baby step, at times even uncertain of the next footfall. The future is often a big blank to me. Not that I don't have thoughts about what I want it to look like. Often I sit and daydream about what it might be like to be married, home during the day tending to little ones and preparing some special meal or surprise for my husband when he returns home. But I don't know that this is what the Lord has for me. I hope it is...but I do not know. I cannot know right now. And I am ok with that. I DO know that He knows. That he has plans for me. That they are plans to prosper and not to harm me. That they are plans to give me a future and a hope. And, that He will work all things - the good, the bad, and especially the ugly - together for good...for my good...and for His glory. But I don't know specifics. Yet, I am called to pray about specifics.

I know this all makes sense to the Lord, but my feeble mind just can't really get it.

I know it makes perfect sense to ask us to ask Him in faith, believing we have received and yet know and acknowledged that He is sovereign and His ways are not our ways and His plans are, at least in the short-term, hidden from us. So, though it doesn't make sense...though I feel presumptuous at times asking in this way...I must obey and trust that He will guide and correct and reveal His will to me in His good time.

And in those moments when I do approach the Throne of Grace with boldness...my fears are alaid, my heart is comforted and cheered, and my confidence in the Lord to accomplish His good and perfect will is strengthened. Though most mornings, I walk away with no clear answer...that comfort and encouragement is answer in and of itself...and more besides. It is grace and strength to endure...to persevere in prayer...to continue in obedience...and to stand through temptation. In truth, that is better than an answer.

And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord
.

Thus far, what has been promises is peace, strength, and a wonderful (though yet unknown) future. And that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment