Monday, May 8, 2006

And what shall I say...?

Perseverance means more than endurance— more than simply holding on until the end. A saint’s life is in the hands of God like a bow and arrow in the hands of an archer. God is aiming at something the saint cannot see, but our Lord continues to stretch and strain, and every once in a while the saint says, "I can’t take any more." Yet God pays no attention; He goes on stretching until His purpose is in sight, and then He lets the arrow fly. Entrust yourself to God’s hands. Is there something in your life for which you need perseverance right now? Maintain your intimate relationship with Jesus Christ through the perseverance of faith. Proclaim as Job did, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him" ( Job 13:15 ). (Oswald Chambers, from My Utmost for His Highest)

Life tends to take many unexpected turns. We often find ourselves on roads we would never have ventured down on purpose, in places we never knew existed or, even, hoped and prayed we’d never be. And, if we are truly walking with the Lord, we will at times find ourselves feeling very much like the bow and arrow analogy in the quote above. Perhaps, like me, you feel that way right this moment.

In moments like these/those, we have a choice to make. We can either seek to relieve the pressure and strain and be shot anywhere, just to end the ordeal OR we can hang on…endure…persevere…and trust that when we land on the spot the Lord is aiming toward, the pressure and strain will be more than worth it. And as Amy Carmichael says “the end, it will explain.”

Our Lord models this appropriate response for us, He says:
Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? "Father, save me from this hour"? But for this purpose I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name. Then a voice came from heaven: I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.—Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done. [And to this response, the Lord always says:] My chosen, in whom my soul delights!

Oh, may He always delight in us!

No comments:

Post a Comment