Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Waiting for God...and Persevering

The Discipline of Spiritual Perseverance
Be still, and know that I am God . . . —Psalm 46:10
,,,If our hopes seem to be experiencing disappointment right now, it simply means that they are being purified. Every hope or dream of the human mind will be fulfilled if it is noble and of God. But one of the greatest stresses in life is the stress of waiting for God. He brings fulfillment, "because you have kept My command to persevere . . ." (
Revelation 3:10 ).
Continue to persevere spiritually.

This is from today’s entry in My Utmost for His Highest. As I read it, I found great hope for me in my circumstances and a reassurance of the Lord’s promise to work all things together for my good and His glory. I was also freshly convicted of how often (how often and how recently) I become frustrated that the Lord isn’t working according to my timetable…how often my best efforts seem frustrated…how often I see others (others I deem less worthy? Ugh!) receiving the blessings I desperately hope for. But, despite that – despite the bleak and impossible outlook (from my vantage point) – I am told that the lines for me have fallen in pleasant places…that he has prepared a future for me…that He knows the desires of my heart and “if it is noble and of God…it will be fulfilled.”

I am also told that this time of waiting…of deferred hope…is purposeful – that my hope is being refined. All of me that corrupts my hopes and dreams is being purged that they might be pure, holy, and set on righteousness, not merely my own satisfaction.

What a kind God we serve. One who is not content to give just to give and spoil us…because He knows the damage of bestowing good things on an unprepared heart. Like a child – immature, irresponsible, untrained – being handed a set of car keys…accidents (even deadly ones) are going to happen. I am so thankful that the Lord has seen fit to lay a foundation in my life that will prepare me for the future He has prepared, and spare me from many of the “crashes” that would result if I were left to my own devices…if I was just given whatever just because…if I was allowed to carve out my own future.

Again…what a kind God we serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment