Thursday, February 8, 2007

Salt

You are the salt of the earth... (Matthew 5:13)

I eat sausage for breakfast every morning. It's what I do. I'm just that much of a creature of habit. But I'm not above "spicing" things up a bit sometimes. :) Occassionally, I'll add cheese, or half the sausage and scramble an egg. Nothing big, just a little change now and then. Today, I decided to sprinkle some Tony Chachere's on my sausage. So, I sprinkled away and...whoa...Tony's is some salty! The second sprinkle was considerably less than the first and it was perfect. Just enough to make it different. The moral of the story? A little salt goes a long way!!


Which made me think of the verse above... I think so often, when we think of doing something for people, doing something for God or as unto God, we think BIG. We think it has to be a well-thought out sit down or a grand gesture or huge sacrifice. But we are called salt and I think there is a reason for that.


Salt is in everything. We eat it all day long. It's cooked in our food, we sprinkle it on our food...sparingly, but consistently...a little bit at a time. It seems to me that this applies to our walks and our relationships. We learn the word bit by bit, precept upon precept. We walk in obedience one step at a time. We cultivate friendships through, sometimes short but consistent times together. It is often all we can give...a few minutes here, a few minutes there. But, like salt, it has its effect just the same. And, I believe God honors our little bits here and there and uses them to do the big and great things only He can.

No comments:

Post a Comment