Monday, November 21, 2005

Breathing God-Saturated Air

Over the past couple of weeks, I have spoken to many people who seem stressed, anxious, overwhelmed. People who are daily experiencing what I was for a brief time a few weeks ago…the tight chest, sick feeling in the stomach, lack of sleep, and overall a general sense of panic.

Thankfully, mine only lasted a week or so. Some of my friends have been there since Hurricane Katrina. Others have been there most of their lives.

What the Lord showed me to bring me to my senses was that I had a thinking problem. I wasn’t thinking theologically…I was thinking emotionally.

Since that time, the Lord has continued to remind me and reinforce this idea…and show me the root, or perhaps the cause of wrong thinking…at least my wrong thinking right now.

In one of his messages on the life of John Owen, John Piper talks about the man and mode of life that produced such an unashamedly and unreservedly godly man. Simply put, he breathed God-saturated air.

Living in the world that we do…even in the world that he did (for there is nothing new under the sun)…that is a challenge, and I imagine would require much effort and purposefulness of thought.

I know, since Katrina, I have been breathing less God-saturated air. Before, I rose early and had about an hour of quiet time, went to work and spent the day with Piper and Begg and my Pastors in my ears, preaching the word of God. I went to small group fellowship and prayer time and bible study each week and had daily contact with other believers. Now…if I get 15 minutes in the morning or evening, I’m doing good. I am often distracted and tired. And my days are spent surrounded by unbelievers, stuffing my ears full or idle (and at times vulgar and immoral) chatter. Don’t get me wrong…I am enjoying getting to know the people I work with and they are nice people…but the way we live our lives, what motivates us and determines the choices we make is very different. With all this distraction and opposition, I should be making more of an effort to breathe God-air…not less.

Why haven’t I?

I don’t know. But, Amy Carmichael suggests that it is because we have let our hearts wander too far from the things that matter most…from the heart of God…from making our home in Him.

Other theologians have suggested that it is because we have lost sight of Calvary. That if, for every glance we took at ourselves, our circumstances, our desires, etc…we need to take 2 looks at Calvary. In truth, we need to daily gaze at the cross and drink deeply of its message, remember what we have been saved from and what we were saved for. And what could be closer to the heart of God than the cross?

This song sums that thought up beautifully. We sang it Sunday and it was the highlight of worship for me.

In the shadow of the cross
Let everything fall into place ...again
Jesus Christ, my Sacrifice
How I need to find Your grace...again

And nothing I can do could add to all You've done
So let my soul be satisfied
As I receive Your favor I will overcome
So in my life be glorified

Jesus Christ, My perfect Priest
How You understand my weaknesses
Thank You for Your gift to me
Through Your sufferings I now possess…this peace

And nothing I can do could add to all You've done
So let my soul be satisfied
As I receive Your favor I will overcome
So in my life be glorified

Let my soul be satisfied
Let my soul be satisfied
Let my soul be satisfied
Let my soul be satisfied

No comments:

Post a Comment