Friday, September 2, 2005

Katrina Update 5 - Can't Stop Praising

So...yesterday was eventful. It started with my family doing its best Jerry Springer Show impression. I got to be the big, bald guy in the black shirt standing between the two screaming guests.

It doesn't look fun on TV...it is much less fun in real life.


As we were driving out of town Sunday morning, I knew whatever the outcome, I would be with my family for an extended and uninterrupted period of time. I also knew I might be called to play Jerry's bouncer...among other things.

After the drama died down, we got some good news. My
parent's home only got 1 foot of water...so my mom's beloved porcelain doll collection was safe. My grandparent's home didn't have any water at all. Neither did my apartment AND my cockatiel was alive. My youngest brother was somehow able to get into the city and check all of this out for us, and rescue my bird. The only thing I don't know about is my car. I parked it in a parking garage at a shopping mall. It should have been safe from water and wind, but possibly not from desperate people.

I've been thinking a lot about the desperation of the people
stranded in the city...and the fear it is causing those who are anxious to get back and assess the damage and save what they can. We have plans to go back and my uncle is insisting on bringing his gun. That prospect doesn't sit well with me, but I don't think I will be able to talk them out of it...and part of me doesn't want to.

However, ever faithful, God has reminded me that He is my protection.

Last night, my niece wanted to read a story from the
Children's Bible I have for her. So I opened it and found myself in Daniel. The plots, the schemes, the success of the schemers and Daniel dropped in a den of "lean lions" licking their chops. And, yet, Daniel was safe! It doesn't make sense, except to say "but God!"

Truly, no weapon shall prosper against us if God says it won't. And if it does, then it was His plan and for His glory. I only hope that I can honor Him regardless and not be afraid.

He has been better to me and mine than we deserve. Truly, where we have been staying is nicer than where we left and our friends and family have been more than generous to us. Even with the drama yesterday, I can say "it's all good" every bit of it! And he has been so near and faithful and kind. I literally have yet to run out of things to praise Him for...and the list keeps growing!

Right now, I am sitting at my Nanny's camp on Lake Verret in Pierre Part, LA on a laptop computer with a wireless connection and will have a nice little patio to read my bible and drink my coffee in the morning. It could only be better if I could go to church and worship with my church family on Sunday...but, hey, I'm not complaining!

Oh...and my Daddy is on his way from Houston. He should get here sometime tonight. We haven't seen him since 6am Sunday morning...so I am very excited to have him back, even if it isn't back "home".

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! I hadn't thought of someone stealing your car...the people still "stuck" out there are very desperate. I hope it will be safe and that God will keep an army of angels guarding it.

    ReplyDelete