Friday, February 26, 2010

7 years later...

This face still gets to me. I saw it first in a dimly lit hospital room and I was transfixed. Emotions, levels of love I'd never known before flooded me and I was done for. Now, all these years later, though she's bigger...and sassier...sometimes, when I look at her face, I'm in that hospital room again. My heart is slain, again. I see those wide, inquisitive, tender eyes, those delicate lashes, that nose I would caress with my chin as I sang "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". And. I'm. Just. Done.

I think, no matter how old she gets...or how sassy...at the end of the day, it will always come to that. She will always be that sweet girl, that amazing, tiny, sweet, wide-eyed girl staring back at me from her incubator, slaying my heart.

At least I hope so.

I sure do hope so. I hope that there will never come a day when I will look at her face and fail to be be struck by what an incredible gift she is in my life...what a miraculous, amazing, sweet and sassy gift. I hope there will never be a day when I don't want to hold her, caress her nose and sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"...

and maybe kiss these.


No comments:

Post a Comment