Friday, July 27, 2007

Waiting

Blessed are all they that wait for Him. ISAIAH 30:19

I don't know how to wait.

I know how to want.
I know how to get.
I know how to fuss when I don't get what I want.
I know how to resign and be disappointed.

I don't know how to wait.

But, when you think about it, the word waiting implies hope, expectation, and anticipation...and purpose. One generally waits for something, right? One generally doesn't wait for no reason or for something they are certain will not come.

Whether it is standing in line at the DMV, watching for the sun to rise on Christmas morning, pacing an OB waiting room floor, counting the days until a special event, or fighting to keep your eyes closed before a surprise is revealed, waiting is meant to be frought with expectation as it promises two things: there will be an end to the waiting and there will be something waiting there for you at the end.

If my waiting isn't hopeful and expectant, I'm not waiting, I'm doing something else...something like craving, pining, fretting, striving or giving up.

My times are in Thy hand, O Lord! And, surely, that is the best. Were I to choose, they should be in no other hands, neither mine own, nor any others. When He withholds mercies or comforts for a season, it is but till the due season. Therefore it is our wisdom and our peace to resign all things into His hands, to have no will nor desires, but only this, that we may still wait for Him. Never was any one who waited for Him miserable with disappointment. ROBERT LEIGHTON

No comments:

Post a Comment